Hi po computers and emissions

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 23:47:29 EDT

Some one was writing in about how dirty their truck might be and fail
emissions by using an ungraded computer.
  To maximize power, the computer is designed to precisely meter the
correct amount of fuel and burn it the most effectively to give
maximimum power output, and this is done in closed-loop via the oxygen
sensor. In other words, maximizing power, if done correctly, should
minimize emissions.
  To back up my point, here are the readings from my last emissions
test. Keep in mind that I run headers, hi-flow cat and exhaust, hi flow
fuel injectors, upgraded cam (mopar stage 1), computer, jacobs ignition,
and so on.
  HC= 55 ppm, state standard 220 ppm
  CO= .12 % state standard 1.20%
  CO2= 14.4% state standard 6.0%
You can get any cleaner than that. I'll tell you what, I was even
surprised how clean it was!
  A properly designed fuel injection system with the proper cam setup
will probably beat a carbureted setup everytime because of the feedback
capabilities of the fuel injection computer system, and how it can
optimize fuel delivery and spark timing.
  They tried to do this with carburetors-remember the old feedback
electronic carburetors?

Patrick