RE: Hi po computers and emissions

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@kp.org)
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 11:40:35 EDT

Patrick,
You are pretty much correct in your statements in regards to power and
efficiency, but there is another part to this equation and it is called
NOx. As power is
increased through efficiency, (more fuel, air and better combustion),
combustion temps. rise and NOx increases and it is not linear. The
automakers use EGR
equipment to dilute the fuel/air charge to slow the burn and reduce
cylinder temps. and pressure. Federal emissions requirements now include
a dyno run at
idle and cruise (generally around 2,000 to 3,000 RPM) to test for NOX,
we already have it here in Calif. The approach for street driven
vehicles when it comes to power should be to know the emissions levels
allowed (HC's, CO, CO2, & NOx), and the weaknesses surrounding the test
(eg. no test for WOT). and make changes to take you up to but not over
the limits (we can't hide from the EPA Gods). Fuel injection is far
better than carburation when it comes to emissions, but they don't look
at that relationship, (only year and model requirements) and I would
hate to go back to the days of carburators on new street vehicles.