Re: Synthetic name brands oils

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Tue Aug 11 1998 - 09:03:01 EDT

> I have a question about using a name brand Mobil-1, Quake state etc. as
> compared to Amsoil. I have contacted one of Amsoil dealers and of course he
> said it's way better, but aren't all synthetics all equal?

  I've been running Mobil 1 in my wife's Nissan (damn 4-banger is really
hard on oil), but still run mineral oil in my Dakota. Cost/benefit ratio
is important to me, so interpret my comments accordingly.

  I _don't_ think all synthetics are equal, mainly because they are "synthesized"
in a variety of ways. Some synthetics have nothing to do with mineral oils
and use things like vegetable oils (corn, etc.) as base stock. I suspect that
Mobil 1 and Amsoil are in that category, but have no real knowledge. Other
synthetics are ultra-refined mineral oils designed to rid the stock of
waxes and other potentially undesirable hydrocarbons. The level of refinement
in this case allows the manufacturer to label the product "synthetic."

  Synthetic lubricant technology is now becoming more lucrative, so lots of
manufacturers are getting in on the bandwagon. I tend to trust people who
have been manufacturing synthetics longest and have the experience and test
data to back their products up.

  Mobil 1 was one of the first commercially-available synthetics, as was
Amsoil. I think both are probably excellent products. However, Mobil 1 is
available at just about every automotive store, while Amsoil is sold through
a network of distributors (MLM?). Most Amsoil dealers are pretty solid folks,
but others succumb to ultra-hype. These people turn me off, plus I see no real
benefit in paying Amsoil prices when I can get Mobil 1 at a relatively reasonable
cost.

  YMMV,

  Ron