Re: Synthetic name brands oils

From: Vincent Heckathorn (victorylane@iwaynet.net)
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 02:50:18 EDT

FWIW
Mobil oil manufactures its own base stocks from hyd. oil to the most
sophisticated jet oils. Mobil 1's base stock is a PAO ( polyalfaolifin). Some
name brand synthetics are POE (polyol ester ) . POE's do have a wider heat range
than do the PAO but Esters do have a tendency to swell seals which isn't good.
On the other hand PAO's tend to dry out the seals. Mobil 1 also has about 10%
ester to get the right amount of balance.
Colin H.