Re: Synthetic name brands oils

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 09:53:22 EDT

[An Amsoil dealer speaks...]

> Amsoil is not an oil, 100% synthetic, even the base stock.

  I assume this is either a typo, or the guy is just parroting the dealer
info he got from his Amsoil upline.

  Last scuttlebutt I heard from a dealer, Amsoil base stock was corn oil,
but I'd guess they have multiple base stock vendors.

> Synthetic and
> petrolum oils are compared in tests that show the real difference.

  Hype alert!

> All of Amsoil's
> lubricnats meet and exceed OEM requirements whether they display the API
> symbol or not.

  Sorry, but if Amsoil isn't willing to pay API to certify a lubricant
and get the right to display the sunburst symbol, the OEMs have a legitimate
reason to not recommend using that lubricant if/when they recommend the
certification. Their call, not the Amsoil salesman's.

  The dealer network is one reason I favor Mobil 1 synthetics over Amsoil.

  Ron