Re: ethanol was Re: Re[2]: SBEC REBATE

From: Michael Fleigle (fleigle@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 19:08:27 EDT

If anyone wants to see some of the ethanol cars and I believe that they
have some S-10's now, they will be on display at the Illinois state
fair. I assure you that they had some minor things done to them but
nothing to effect perfomance.

Fleg

Bob DeChance wrote:

> You should move out here to the left coast in Ca. We have MTBE in our
gas
> per CARB, only costs 20 cents a gal more, paid 1.23 for 87 today, it
loses
> about 10% MPG and HP, and is getting in our drinking water so bad they
are
> banning boats and jet skis from the lakes, it smells and tastes awful
and
> they do not know how harmful it is for you yet, but they require it
for our
> own good.
> Please excause the spelling but I am trying to do this post in between
> earthquakes today.
> Bob
> Stockton Ca

Heh... I concur. If those Luminas are fast, it's due to something
other than ethanol; ethanol has a lower enthalpy rating than
gasoline, so you have to burn more of it to generate the same
amount of energy. Hence, the MPG and HP drop you're experiencing
(all other things being equal in your case).

Those Luminas had a little extra work done, I'm sure :-).

Have fun,

--
     John Bell    johnb@pswtech.com   http://www.psw.com
    "You're not foolin' anyone, y'know..." - Monty Python