Re: Vascar

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 21:38:15 EDT

At 10:59 AM 8/7/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>>Locals are still not permitted to use radar, only the state boys. The
>only means available to clock speeders is following for 1/4 mile, and
>vascar. For those who never heard of vascar, basically the officer will
>place or use two markers on the road. They will then measure the
>distance between these markers with the car. Once configured, the
>officer manually activates a switch when you cross the first marker and
>then again after you cross the second marker. A computer then
>calculates your speed. A more simplified unit I have seen is two hoses
>spaced a fixed distance apart. More accurate, less convient for the
>officer to hide.<<
>
>Don't know how it works, but in NC they have "rolling vascar". No hoses or
>preset markings....Police can time you from behind,on the move, and nothing
>to trip a radar detector. I think the computer has inputs for both time and
>distance, when activated....so computing speed is very easy.

  Some places paint lines on the road or use landmarks of a known
distance (such as bridges) to time you from the air. (Helicopters,
airplanes, etc...) Then they radio a description of the vehicle
to the predators errr, officers on the ground who pull you over and
hand you a big fat ticket. Ka-ching! So if you see lines painted on
the road for no apparent reason, keep a lookout for the eye in the sky...
  (Keep a closer lookout on the road though, so you don't do something
truly worthy of that ticket.) :-)

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |