RE: RE: Throttle bodies again.. (was: 98 R/T power mod's que stions)

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Tue Aug 18 1998 - 11:54:30 EDT

Bill,
Thanks for the info. Getting larger plates and boring out the TB is
actually the easiest part of the job. Once I make the hold-down plate
for the TB and
the fixture to hold the throttle shaft for modifications, the actual
time should be less than 15 minutes per throttle body. I'll find out
what year TB's are
interchangeable. Getting flow numbers both before and after will be
easy to. What concerns me more than anything is the relationship between
the Throttle
Position Sensor, Map Sensor, Engine Controller, and Air Temp. Sensor.
Wide Open Throttle will benefit from the Mod. because the engines run
rich at WOT.
Cruise won't be a problem because the Engine Controller is in
"closed-loop" and is looking at the O2 sensor and adjusting fuel based
on O2 readings. Part-
throttle acceleration could be a problem because the Engine Controller
is looking at the above sensors and making fuel and ignition adjustments
based on
these, with larger plates the TPS will have different inputs to the
Controller. What I really need to do after the mods, will be to run the
truck on a dyno and
measure exhaust before the Cat and see what I have (the mod may require
re-clocking the TPS sensor). I have yet to find anyone that has actually
spent the
time on the dyno to measure the results. The last thing that I want is a
"Check Engine" light after the mods.
        Frank