Sam's Dak. Was: mindless

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 18 1998 - 21:02:44 EDT

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Sam Parthemer wrote:
[...]
> I've already started doing inventory on my truck.... at around 100,000 I
> plan
> on doing a make over....
>
> (Rebuild the engine- fixing minor oil leaks, check all topend, etc-- , put
> on new water pump, replace all hoses,
> rebuild the transmission (for piece or peace? of mind), and install
> centerforce II
> clutch-- Noting additional work to be done on the rear diff...)
>
> What's a realistic $$ figure for the above items??? (I'm planning on a
> $5000~ investment...)

   Sam,

  I couldn't tell you what the above would cost, but if you're
planning on investing $5K, have you thought about replacing your
engine with a 360? You should be able to do that for less than
$3000 I would guess (though I immagine the price would vary
greatly depending on wether you buy new, used, etc...). The
360 is basically a bolt-in.

  Everyone is different and has different needs and desires
of course, but if I were faced with a similar situation, I'd
definitely buy a 360 rather than sink more money into a
"wimpy" engine. ;-) All of your bolt ons like headers, etc.
should work with the 360 no problem. (Don't take my word
for it though; that's just what I've been told by a few
people.) If you're interested, I've got some e-mail
messages about the 360 swap saved up somewhere; (from
Eric and some other people who have done it) I can forward
them to you if you like. (I'm planning on doing a 360 swap
myself sometime.)

  Good to hear from you again! :-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |