Re: Sam's Dak. Was: mindless

From: Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 03:49:25 EDT

At 09:02 PM 8/18/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Sam Parthemer wrote:
>[...]
>> I've already started doing inventory on my truck.... at around 100,000 I
>> plan
>> on doing a make over....
>>
>> (Rebuild the engine- fixing minor oil leaks, check all topend, etc-- , put
>> on new water pump, replace all hoses,
>> rebuild the transmission (for piece or peace? of mind), and install
>> centerforce II
>> clutch-- Noting additional work to be done on the rear diff...)
>>
>> What's a realistic $$ figure for the above items??? (I'm planning on a
>> $5000~ investment...)
>>

> Sam,
>
> I couldn't tell you what the above would cost, but if you're
>planning on investing $5K, have you thought about replacing your
>engine with a 360? You should be able to do that for less than
>$3000 I would guess (though I immagine the price would vary
>greatly depending on wether you buy new, used, etc...). The
>360 is basically a bolt-in.
>
> Everyone is different and has different needs and desires
>of course, but if I were faced with a similar situation, I'd
>definitely buy a 360 rather than sink more money into a
>"wimpy" engine. ;-) All of your bolt ons like headers, etc.
>should work with the 360 no problem. (Don't take my word
>for it though; that's just what I've been told by a few
>people.) If you're interested, I've got some e-mail
>messages about the 360 swap saved up somewhere; (from
>Eric and some other people who have done it) I can forward
>them to you if you like. (I'm planning on doing a 360 swap
>myself sometime.)
>
> Good to hear from you again! :-)

Sam,

If you can, definately go the 5.9 route. That's what I'm doing when mine
5.2 dies. The 5.9 is basically the same as the 5.2 except the bore and
stroke are different, everything should bolt-up. I have seen a 5.9 out of
a Ram for $500 with ~15,000 on the odometer. I think a used 5.2 would go
for around the same. You just have to look hard, that's all. Drop in a
cam, roller rockers, etc. for under $1500 - $2000 total. All you would
need is the flywheel out of a 5.9 truck to change motors. Spend the extra
$$$ on a 1 piece driveshaft and rear out of an R/T. I don't know the cost
on these new, but I'm sure the rest of you're cash would go to this. I can
call and see if there are any more cheap Magnum engines out there if ya
want me to.

Good luck with whatever ya do

Brian

"Life is what happens while