Re: engine knock

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 24 1998 - 13:37:22 EDT

What octane gas are you using? Try experimenting with that to get rid of the ping. I know a guy who runs 87 from QT and gets pinging, but 87 from Amoco doesn't. If that
doesn't take care of the ping, a 180 deg. thermostat will.
For easy performance, get an FABM (Fresh Air By Meldrum). You can get to his page via the Dakota Webring. Go under RPM Dakota, then click on engine, I think. This is an open
element K&N, which is MUCH better than the ducting and crap that's in there now.
Good luck,
Robert

jbetcher@velocity.net wrote:

> I own a '97 Dakota, extended cab with a Magnum V6. I have two things that I hope someone
> out there can help me with. First is a problem that has been with this vehicle for about
> the last 5 months and the dealership has not been able to fix, and that is the popping and pinging I hear when climbing hills, accelerate or am under load. The second is that
> this engine has been a disappiontment as far as performance. It has no get up and go.
> Is there anything I can do to increase the performance of this dog. I know it's not a V8
> but I've been in other V6's and they seem to do alright-------Where's the Magnum in my
> Magnum?
> (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
> (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
> /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
> / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
> * ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
> ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
> Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)

Mailto:rotrottmann@davidson.edu
http://thelma.davidson.edu/rotrottmann/web/default.htm
Davidson, NC- Now
St. Louis, MO- May 19th