Life after the JBA install(cat back setup)

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Mon Aug 24 1998 - 20:34:06 EDT

OK gang, with the JBAs now in place, the next stop for me is a cat back
system. I'm leaning toward an Ultra Flo muffler and will probably just
buy it locally and have the shop custom bend the tailpipes.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my Y pipe is a 1.75" mandrel bent
number that expands to a 2.25" pipe flowing into and out of the cat.
There is a 2 foot or so length of pipe between the Y pipe and the cat.
What I'm thinking about is this:

Ditch the existing Y pipe for a 2.25" piece that dumps to a 3" collector
going to a high flow cat. Past that I'm not sure just yet. I will either
go for the 3" all the way back or possibly a dual 2.25" tailpipe setup.
I'm going for the Super Truck look(Xenon ground effects in the future)
so that's the reason for the uncertainty on the pipe exits.

My concerns are: Will the 2.25" Y pipe be too much? My stock cat seems
to be quite a ways back from the collector. Is this normal? I'm thinking
that any cat back system is suffering to some degree by having 2 feet or
better of small tubing in front of the cat. I can't understand exactly
why it's placed where it is(behind the tranny Xmember) when there is
room forward of that. Concerns over heating the passenger side floor or
maybe the tranny itself?

Any thoughts?

Bob