Re: Plug wires & Distributor Cap for 98 ?

From: brian duffey (brian.duffey@intelsat.int)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 08:11:00 EDT

Marc,

I used a generic set of MSD wires, cut them to the proper length and then
attached the boot.
Like Jon, I had the concern (probably valid) that my crimp would not be as
solid as a factory job. I will say that, 1) a bench vice does make crimping
the connectors much easier, 2) the wire stripper/crimper they supply with
the sets works much better then I suspected it would.
As Jon mentioned, the wires go on/off w/out much trouble & click into place,
which offers some assurance that you've got the plug boot properly
connected.

I had a B**CH of a time getting my old wires off ('95-318), ripped a few
wires and the ceramic on the plugs were very brittle (three plugs
practically disintegrated on me while trying to get the wires off). I've
debated on removing the metal collars, but the new MSD wires are MUCH easier
to remove, so I think the collars will stay for now.
Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL (should it stay or should it go, now?) - MSD Blaster Coil - MSD 8.5
wires
K&N FIPK
-------------
Original Text
From MARC@SMTPGATE (Marc Robertson) {marc@blackberry-ridge.com}, on 25/8/98
22:13:
To: DAKOTA-T@SMTPGATE {dakota-truck@buffnet.net}

GSWillhite wrote:

> OK Dakpak, What manufacturer of plug wires is everyone
> using for the street (Magnecore or Moroso) 8.5 ?
>
> How bout a distributor cap w/brass connectors ?
>
> I know theres alot of related stuff in the archives, but
> nothing seems definative. My truck is running well on
> stock equip. so far, but I've heard about the wires giving
> out pretty fast. Any experienced suggestions ?
>
> Thanks always
>
> GS

Maybe I'm abnormally clumsy, but I had a very difficult time getting my
stock wires off to change the plugs the first time; the short boot
coupled with the metal collar around the plug made it a real pain (I
have a '94, but it sounds like the collars are still there). So I'm
sure I ripped one, which led to a misfire, which I lived with for a
period of time (not sure of the cause since my O2 sensor died at about
the same time).

The bottom line is that I would change the wires to at least something
with more user friendly boots. The lengths on the MSD wires I got were
poorly matched to what I needed, so if I did it again I probably would
get a generic MSD set and make up my own lengths (though there may be
down-sides to that, so I would be happy to hear comments).

Marc Robertson
marc@blackberry-ridge.com