Re: Auto Trans

From: Vincent Heckathorn (victorylane@iwaynet.net)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 00:03:06 EDT

Charlie;
Yep sometimes the WOT shifting is a problem. What you need to do is to lower
the line pressure a little, then readjust the TV cable so it is pulled all
the way out at WOT and be able to get it to shift. Mine shifts right at 5200
1-2 and 4700 2-3, but I had to play with it to get it right. What PR spring
did you use? I used the white spring with it turned up 1 turn. Also try
adjusting the front band again. Jack up the rear end so you can rotate the
drive shaft, put it in any gear ( not Park ), rotate the drive shaft by hand
backwards, tighten the band so you cannot turn it backwards , then just
loosen the band enough so you can turn the drive shaft by hand, then go 1/4
turn more. This may help, if the shifts are a little on the soft side (
softer than before) loosen it 1/4 at a time till you get it where it fells
good, but don't go more than 1 1/2 turns . If you loosen it to much you may
get a 2-3 flare up when shifting. This is do to the fact that to make the
shifts firmer the gear that you are in needs to release sooner, loosening
the front band to much will cause it to release to soon, But it does not
hurt anything.
You are correct on the type F fluid. Type F has (or had ) more friction
modifiers than dexron, but the new dexron III I think is close. Ford Always
wanted their shifts nice and firm and GM seemed to go the other way.
If you have any other questions about the Transgo install and what I did
feel free to ask.

Colin H.