K&N FIPK on the dyno

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 16:33:30 EDT

For anyone that's interested, I managed to get a couple of pulls done on
a DynoJet last Friday just before my JBA install. Unfortunately, I
didn't realize until well into the deal that the guy running it was
fairly new to working with the DynoJet. He had worked with a motor dyno
for a number of years, but the chasis dyno was a recent installation for
them. I was getting 24000 readings on the RPM readouts and his RPM
graphic had the needle just spinning in circles. Well, that's what
happens when you clip on the coil wire rather than a plug wire like
you're supposed to :^O

After some fussing around, we managed to get what I feel were some
stable baseline pulls(2). I went to the trouble of re-installing the
stock air intake just for this run. I still had the 180 T-stat
installed(wasn't willing to back up that far<g>) but it gave me some
idea of what rear wheel stock HP is. For the last run, I installed the
14" K&N. I was a bit disappointed to see the rear wheel HP be so low. I
believe our max HP run with the K&N was only about 185 HP. I think Mike
Catlin's R/T came in at about 215+. I guess that's roughly the
advertised difference(30 HP) between a 318 and the 360.

Bottom line: I did see about a 4 HP increase with the K&N over stock.
Put that info in the FWIW file for anyone contemplating a purchase or
wondering what their open element might be giving them performance-wise.
I'll try to post the actual printout numbers later.

Plan to make some fresh runs next week to see what the JBAs and JET chip
have gained in HP.

Bob