Re: atr Y-Pipe(consider a custom)

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 14:43:05 EDT

robert lipinski wrote:

> List
>
> The person I talked to at ATR told me the price shown
> in their literature of $179 for the Y-pipe was wrong,
> and that there is a lot of compexity building the
> Y-pipe, thusly the $295 price...she also added that
> it was a product that had languished but enough
> interest has been shown that they are again
> producing it. Also she said it was known to fit only
> the 1995 Dakota.

While I'm no muffler shop dude, I can't imagine the complexity warrants
that price. I think a good muffler shop could make you a really sweet
custom piece for less money. Again, the only tricky part would be the O2
sensor plug. "Complex" is probably coming from someone who does little
exhaust work. ATR has a wide range of products and exhaust is only one
of them. In my experience with them(from years back) their exhaust
parts, espcecially mufflers, could be purchased locally for much less
money.

>From an earlier post, I mentioned $350 for a complete cat back w/duals
installed at a local shop. I looked at an S10 they had just completed
and the pipe bending was very nice. Fairly complex with many mandrel
bends. A Y pipe is going to take fewer bends, less pipe and doesn't
include a trick muffer<g>. $295 vs. $350

And for Yuks, I just called a local shop to ask about a custom Y pipe.
They buy ready made 3" collectors and fabricate the pipes up to the
manifolds(or headers in my case). $120 for a simple Y pipe. $160 to have
one with the O2 sensor installed at the stock location.

You don't get stainless, but you don't get as big a hole in your wallet
OR the worry of it not fitting properly. You might want to call around
locally. I plan to check out the guys I just spoke with.

Bob