strange "clunk" when turning

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 18:33:16 EDT

   A few days ago, I started to notice a "clunk" that sounded almost
like I ran over a stone or something. After hearing it a few times
and experimenting a bit, I found that it happens when I'm turning enough
to induce some body roll. A sharp slow turn will do it, and so will a
not-so-sharp fast turn.

  I recently (a week ago) put 3 or 4 1/8" shims under each of my
Lakewood traction bars to raise the snubbers up, so that comes to mind
as a possible culprit, but I don't see how or why a turn would make
them shift at all.

  The sound is definitely coming from the rear of the vehicle;
either near the left rear wheel or in the diff itself (I hope
not!!) When it happens, I can feel a little "play" and it feels
almost like I ran over something and slipped off it, so its
somewhere in the rearend. I thought it might be the cab mount
thing that several people have mentioned, but I think that was
only on the new bodystyle, and it feels like its in the drivetrain
somewhere.

  Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Any suggestions
as to where and what to check?

 Thanks very much in advance!

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.85@90.72), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |