Re: strange "clunk" when turning

From: W . Jack Hilton III (hemi@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 01:49:31 EDT

>Hello. I am new to the list but I just had to respond to this one. I have
a 90
>Dakota,4x2,that started making the same kind of noise about a year ago. Seems
>there was a problem with the way the rack&pinion was mounted. My dealer
found the
>problem and Mopar paid to fix it. I don't know if this is your problem but
they
>told me it was a design problem in the older Dakotas.
>
> spook

I heard of a problem with the way the rack and pinions were mounted a few
years back as well .

If this is the same thing that I heard , it seemed that at the time , some
found that the bolts mounting the R&P to the frame had just a tiny bit of
play in them and this ended up "wallowing" out the holes and then
subsequently cracking the cross-member in the area where the R&P was
mounted .

Might wanna check this out even though there is no TSb listed on the
Government's web site about it .

I remember that I read about this in a post by some kind of either
municipallity that had a bunch of Dak service trucks , or a bunch in a
fleet . It was on the Net somewhere .

W . Jack Hilton III

HEMI@mindspring.com