Re: Exhaust configuration

From: DkotaKid@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 29 1998 - 13:43:14 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/98 4:15:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com writes:

> Mopar Preformance Headers (get them ceramic coated here in CA) into the
> factory cat. From the cat I'd like to go into a "straight through" muffler
> just behind the cat and from the muffler just a short down turn to aim the
> exhaust right at the ground. In other words: the shortest possible exhaust
> system. I'm not even sure if it would be legal, just seems like a good
idea
> to keep the exhaust path as short and straight as possible.
> At worst, I'd like to dump the exhaust out in front of the rear tire so
> that it doesn't have to cross the rear axle. Does anyone make a cat-back
> like
> either of the two I mentioned above?

Shaun,

Sounds exactly like what I did to my 95 V8 5spd. Mopar Perf (aka Doug
Thorley) headers. Which were a pain the you-know-what to install. 2
shadetree mechanics (me & a friend): over 9 hours to install! And we've done
this stuff (GM products only) before! The mounting holes absolutely did not
want to line up. Then a short length of pipe which dumped the exhaust right
by the axle. Wow! What a performance difference! And the sound is unreal!
Since it comes out UNDER the truck, you really got a lot of resonance INSIDE.
Not advisable for your grandmother's Buick, but if you love that loud V8
sound, you'll definitely love the sound you'll get this way. Of course,
you'll need to turn the stereo up a bit when you're on a date... :)

Andy