Re: Defective exhaust citation in FL - am I in the wrong?

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Sat Aug 29 1998 - 11:59:58 EDT

At 11:15 AM 8/29/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Ok, here's the scenerio.
>
>I have a 97 Dodge Ram SS/T with a custom bent exhaust system.
>
>It consists of Borla headers into 2 - 2 1/2" aluminuzed pipe that goes into
>two
>Flowmaster mufflers, then I have turn dows after each muffler before the
axle,
>but well behind the cab.
>
>I was pulled over last night, and said that my exhaust was illegal. The
>officer
>explained to me that I needed exhaust pipes with no leaks, good mufflers, and
>tail pipes. I have a tight exhaust system, with street mufflers, I'm just
>unsure about the tail pipes. What does the law consider a 'tail pipe' ? If
you
>look at the bigger deisels, they run the same short pipe with a turn down
>after
>the muffler too.
>
>any insight is welcome ..
>
>ttyl
>Patrick

Well, I think if they were dumped after the rear, that would be a
tail-pipe. Maybe they want to see a tail-pipe of some sort just by looking
at the truck from the outside, and not from underneath. Have you seen the
new Ford 150s? Some of them have the tail-pipe bfore the rear wheel.
Wonder if they consider that to be illegal? Gibson makes a NAS-TRUCK(Don't
know the name for sure) exhaust that exists out the side before the rear
wheels, too. Here's an idea, run some tips out to the side, right in front
of the rear wheels. Make it look like a Challenger T/A or a 'Cuda AAR.
Other than that, I'm not sure what you could do.

Brian