Defective exhaust citation in FL - am I in the wrong?

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 29 1998 - 11:15:02 EDT

Ok, here's the scenerio.

I have a 97 Dodge Ram SS/T with a custom bent exhaust system.

It consists of Borla headers into 2 - 2 1/2" aluminuzed pipe that goes into
two
Flowmaster mufflers, then I have turn dows after each muffler before the axle,
but well behind the cab.

I was pulled over last night, and said that my exhaust was illegal. The
officer
explained to me that I needed exhaust pipes with no leaks, good mufflers, and
tail pipes. I have a tight exhaust system, with street mufflers, I'm just
unsure about the tail pipes. What does the law consider a 'tail pipe' ? If you
look at the bigger deisels, they run the same short pipe with a turn down
after
the muffler too.

any insight is welcome ..

ttyl