Re: "TEST" pipe to replace cat.....

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 12:41:02 EDT

> replacing the cat
> on a 98 Dak with a "test" pipe (which would only be used in a fully legal
> manner, of course). Would the computer freak out from the O2 readings?

  I don't have access to the OBD-II spec right at the moment, but that
post-cat O2 sensor is there for a reason. I don't know if the spec
dictates ECM response to no change in the pre- & post-cat sensors, but
something will happen.

  Isn't the post-cat sensor there to detect a failing cat? I highly
doubt that the response to a failing cat is to shut the engine down,
rather it might only be used to fire the Check Engine indicator.

  The cat removal should result in a backpressure decrease, which will
affect exhaust tuning. My guess is not necessarily for the better, at
least as far as low RPM torque is concerned.

  Ron