Racin' at Moroso!!!!

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 13:59:23 EDT

Well , I made the trip to Moroso Motorsports Park in West Palm Beach
Florida for the Chrysler Classis show and race this past Sunday .

I didn't do any showing , but I did plenty of going .

I saw quite a few R/T's though . Along with myself , there were two other
R/Ts racing . A 98 Club Cab Deep Amethyst and a 98 Regular Cab Flame Red .

The Regular Cab Flame Red machine was owned by a guy named Joe something (I
forgot to get his name) and it was bone stock . He had his best run to date
that day . It was he and I after we had both been eliminated in the first
round . I was in the left lane , he in the right . Although he red-lighted
with a .489 RT , he proceeded to run a 15.24 . The guy in the CC that was
stock ran mostly 15.7s all day .

My R/T ran strong all day , but I was plagued by traction problems all day
long . I think it was the track itself more than anything , because I
didn't get there until about 11:30 AM and others had already been running .
The sun was high and hot and the rubber was already all over the place from
the numerous Vipers among others . To give you an idea of how bad the
traction was , my first run I went thru the water and did a pretty heavy
burn-out . When the hammer dropped , I must have spun for at least 2-3
seconds . It started to turn on me a bit while spinning so I had to let off
the gas just a tad . I ended up running a 17.something that run . My RT was
about 2.339 (hahahahahahaha), but this was the first time I had ever been
to the track .

Anyway , I had removed the tailgate , the spare , and I only had 1/8th of a
tank of 100 octane . I had the JET II module and the 14x3" open element .
Although my times weren't horrible , I was kinda disappointed .

Even after getting the traction problems under more control , I ran mostly
15.55-15.60 .

I did have one run in time trials that I hooked beautifully and ran a
15.338 . Even with that run , I never broke 89 MPH .

So I get this 15.338 , so I decide to dial in at 15.30 for eliminations .
OF COURSE I spun a bit at the line and ran a 15.606 and LOST to a 73
Plymouth Sattellite . ARGH!!!!

By the end of the day , on my last run, I had my RT down under .700 , so I
was happy with myself . But being at sea level with a constant breeze to
keep humidity down , I really expected more out of the truck .

I had an awesome time and really enjoyed the whole experience . I gave the
DML info to Joe and the other guy with the Purple CC , as well as others ,
so maybe we'll see them here soon .

I ended up seeing 6 R/Ts that day , including an exact clone of mine tat a
guy was showing .

Anyway , I'm at work and I don't have the slips with me , but when I get
the time , I'll give some more detail .

I also think my girlfriend got some great pics of me launching and doing
burnouts in the box that I will definitely post .

PEACE

Jack Hilton III

1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Club Cab (Black)

Charter Pipeline......the Next Wave.....

HEMI@charter.net

http://www.mindspring.com/~hemi/jbd1.html