Re: Vortech& Ram-Air hood question

From: Gary Pinkley (gapinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 23:48:05 EDT

The supercharger on the Ford Thunderbird SC is made by Eaton Corporation.
It is a roots type supercharger, and is
designed to work with a manifold type installation. The Pontiac Grand Prix
GTP (all GM supercharged 3.8 engines)
uses the same type of blower from Eaton. This is not a simple bolt on
installation. I believe Kenne Bell sells a screw-type
supercharger for the Dodge V8 applications. The screw type is similar in
packaging to a roots and is a more design
intensive install than the centrifugal type superchargers (i.e. Vortech,
Paxton, etc).

On the noise issue, Eaton jumped through a lot of hoops to design the
charger for Ford and GM. Neither corporation
believed they could sell a screamin' charger to all those soccer moms (who
won't buy a minivan!). Eaton has done the most
development on roots type supercharges in the last ten years of any company.

-Gary Pinkley