RE: Back from Houston...Arghhh!!

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 16:08:42 EDT

At 07:58 AM 9/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Damn. At least it didn't stop till it got you to your hometown!!
> That's what I call loyal dedication!! Let us know what's up with
>your truck asap.
>
>Tate

Yeah, although my truck can be a pain in the ass sometimes (like now), it
takes care of me!!

Alrighty...

I think I'll answer everyone's questions.

It's a 93 CC V8 with 86000 miles and it has a MP SBEC, among other things.
I turned in my original, at the time 100 bucks sounded too good. DOH!!
There was no gas smell at all, so no flooding. There were no codes either.
It seems to think running on 4 cylinders or so is normal.... The headers
have been on for 2 weeks.

Now that I'm a little less upset - and had time to think of a bunch of
stuff, I'm going to put in some more details. On Saturday afternoon, while
in Houston while it was raining(around the time of the winsheild wiper
incident), it started to studder under load, getting progressively worse
over time. By Saturday night, it was totally screwed up. On Sunday in
Houston, we swapped in a new plug at the Battleship. In San Marcos, that
plug (cylinder #2) had not been fired on at ALL!!! It looked brand new out
of the package.

So here's what I'm thinking... Gonna go work on it in a sec. Here's my
thoughts - distributor cap is dead, fuel injector timing is off, computer
timing went haywire, timing chain is worn out and slipped - so the cam
timing is off, O2 sensor problems, some other sensor, or the Accel coil is
screwed up. I have the original coil, so I can check that out. I am also
going to look and see if the distrib. cap is good. Gonna check the Moroso
wires, too. If this stuff doesn't check out, I probably will have to drag
it to the dealer, unless you guys can think of something else. I'm going
to replace the O2 sensor after class tomorrow.

btw - After I check this stuff out I'm going to slap the new rims on, just
so it will look good, if nothing else.

Brian (where did #2 cylinder go?? - didn't leave it in Houston did I??) Lee