Re: Wed nite drags...details please Jon

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 16:02:51 EDT

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 Boog318@aol.com wrote:

> Jon
> GS is talkin about it, lets hear your experience! I wish I could have seen
> that race(s).
> Boog

   It was a good day, that's for sure. :-) Made up for all my recent
bad luck what with my rearend, trying to cut a good R/T with an
Izuzu P'up, etc... :-) It was my first trophy in a while, the
fact that it was for first made it feel even better. :-)

  It was kind've a weird day - there were a lot more trucks than
usual, and not quite as many cars. That happens sometimes... Anyway,
usually all you have to do to score a trophy is make it through a couple
or three rounds of bracket racing and you're in the semifinals. (We get
trophies for semifinals, 2nd, and 1st.) I didn't get a bye run either,
so I had to race my way to the top. :-)

   As Bill mentioned, we got paired up in the first round. (We usually
try to avoid doing that so we can keep the Mopars deep into eliminations.)
:-) I forget now why I won that one, I think I might have had a
slightly better light. I ran 5 or 6 times total, so I don't remember
'em all; there was one against a ford who ran almost a second off his
dial in; I wish they were all that easy. :-) That was the only run
of the day that I ran a 15, since I was just getting into it enough
to stay in front of him. He drove over afterwards in the pits
to congratulate me and said it was a close race. (I didn't have
the heart to tell him he didn't have a chance.) :-) That's something
really nice about the Dak; its got plenty of power for those situations...
If he would have started to get ahead, its no problem to get back out
in front of him. That's a luxury I didn't have when I ran the P'up while
my Dak was in the shop. :-) There was also an older Jeep Cherokee that
was an interesting run... She cut a pretty good light and as I ran her down,
I noticed I wasn't catching up as quick as I should be. She crossed the
line first, so I figured that was it, but as it turns out, we both broke out.
She broke out by .2 and I ran a 14.77 on a 14.80, so I got
the win. (whew!) :-) Then there was Larry and his V6 Dakota. I
figured I'd be stuck with a semifinal trophy at that point, but for
whatever reason he ran off his dial (his truck does that sometimes).
We cut identical .536 reaction times. :-) As Bill mentioned, the
Ram I was runnin' in the finals redlighted (he cut a .387 or so!!)
Sometimes that red light can be a beautiful sight. :-)
  Anyway, a new best time and the first place trophy after that dry
spell was a good feeling indeed. It was nice to see an all Mopar
semifinal again too. :-) Only 2 more days left in the season though,
so I'll be going through withdrawl in a couple of weeks. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |