Rough Idle with headers

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 23:47:30 EDT

> Michael, I think your problem might be a sensor. It's weird that the
> problem corresponds with the headers. I wouldn't think they would affect
> anything, but then again, maybe they did. Good job on the trophies!!

Well since everyone is wondering here is what's happening.

Before when I had the headers on I started geting a rough idle on a
warm restart. Sometimes even on cold starts. Almost never on a hot
restart. What it would do is start fine, idle fine for about 30
seconds, then get real rough and labored. It would idle (barely) like
this for about 30 to 45 seconds and then all of a sudden (like someone
turned on a switch) clear up and idle fine. And if I try to drive off
while it is running rough it will surge pretty bad, and if I push it
very hard it will backfire.

Well, I ran stock manifolds and stock Y-pipe for about 4 weeks while
the headers were getting coated and it NEVER did it once. I thought
that I just had a leak where the EGR tube connected to the exhaust.

When I got the headers back on, the guy pulled out and drove onto the
dyno to strap it down. He put it in park, got out, and it started
doing the rough idle thing again.

So it seems there is a connection with the headers somehow. And here
is some additional information. While it is idleing rough, I can
shift from P to N and it will clear up immediately for about 10
seconds and start again, shift from N back to P and it will clear up
immediately again for another 10 seconds or so. Eventually it will
clear up.

I'm stumped. What changes in an engine when you put headers on them?
 Does the MAP sensor see a change in pressure? I'm thinking I have a
 bad sensor somewhere that can't handle the change in airflow.

 I have reset the computer and also tried the stock computer with no
 help. Anyone have any ideas?

 Sorry for the long post, but this is getting to be a pain...

---Mike, near Houston.---
 My sig file=====> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/signature.txt
 My Dakota page==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/dakota.html
 Dakota Webring==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/webring/ring.html