Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Heavy Duty U-Joints was Shift Kit

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Fri Oct 02 1998 - 21:51:40 EDT

_________________________________
>Subject: Re: DML: Re[2]: Heavy Duty U-Joints was Shift Kit
>Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at smtpout
>Date: 10/1/98 7:59 PM
>

>OK OK!!!! How do you guys go through all these U-Joints?????? My 93 Dak 4x4
>has voer 95,000 miles of hard 4wheeling with no problems........anyways how
>would one know if a u joint is bad.....like symptoms????????

U-joint symptom I've noticed the most - groaning sound on deceleration.
Stereo must be off and a couple windows down to hear it. It's not that loud.

How to break u-joints, among other things:

Totally destroy a 454 SS on the street. Have fun "cleaning" tires for next
minute or two showing off. Listen for loud "BOOM!!" Look under truck and
find large metal pretzel that was your driveshaft. See broken u-joints.
Have a Jeep tow you home.

Climb off camber hill in an 89 Wrangler. Wait for a little tire spin.
Then comes loud "SNAP!!". Drive home in 4-H because the rear u-joints are
busted. Wonder at friends sanity for driving 22 miles home in 4H.

Climb hill in 79 Bronco that requires lots of suspension articulation,
which you have none of. Compound the fact while in the Wally-World parking
lot someone tried to steal one of your neato American Racing 15 x 10's w/33
x 12.5's on them. This happens without your knowledge...yet. Roar up
previously stated hill. Get a little air. Land and listen for a loud
"SNAP!!", followed closely by a "CRACK!!" Go home. Start to loosen left
front lugnuts. Realize only 3 are there, and 2 are very loose. the only
one that is tight is the LOCKING LUG-NUT!!!!!! Laugh at someone's
stupidity that they tried to steal the only wheel on the crusty Bronco that
has a locking lugnut. Take wheel off, and take rest of axle apart to find
an axle cleanly split at the carrier....DAMMIT!! Notice also that u-joint
is split in two. Then damn Ford for the next month while parts running.

Brian