Dak Brakes

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 02 1998 - 21:50:51 EDT

>I went from driving a GMC Typhoon which had decent brakes to my '98 DAK
>which has just so-so brakes under a really hard stop. More than once
>I've been hard on the binders trying to avoid stopped traffic and had to
>look for an "out" like possibly a shoulder move to avoid hitting
>someone. It just won't stop as quick as I'm used to.

>I've been workin' on the "GO!" portion of the truck, but the "WHOA!"
>side needs some attention as well<grin>.

>Carbon fiber brake pads, drilled rotors, ducting cool air to the brakes,
>etc. All things you could consider if you're looking to improve stopping
>distance. Stainless Steel Brakes is supposedly going to release a rear
>disc kit for the '97+ DAKs and I'll probably look hard at that one when
>and if it does come out.
>Bob

I know my Dak doesn't stop nearly as quickly as our Sundance, but I figured
it was due:

(1) weight of the truck (vrs Sundance)
(2) Goodyear Wranglers

It is easy enough to lock up the front brakes and it seems to stop about
the same as any other Dodge pickup that I've owned. Only difference is the
Dak stops in a straight line due to rear wheel ABS.

I suspect a good LT highway tire will improve the braking. Switching to
Michelins (from Invictas) sure made a difference on the Sundance.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada