Dak Brakes

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Sat Oct 03 1998 - 11:58:50 EDT

>Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 03:29:17 -0400
>From: Vincent Heckathorn <victorylane@iwaynet.net>
>Subject: Re: DML: Dak Brakes

>My brakes seem to be screwed up as well.
>The other day I had to make a sudden stop, well It didn't, the peddle went
>straight to the floor and I could hear the anti lock valves thumping. I went
>home ,jacked the rear of the truck up got the rear wheels spinning and
stepped
>on the brakes hard, guess what, the damn tires kept spinning like hell and
the
>peddle went to the floor with the same sound as I had out on the road. If I
>stomp on the brakes then power it up they seem to work just fine. I guess I
>should have it looked at.
>FWIW

>Colin H.

Colin:

My brakes are operating as they should. I was addressing Bob's note. I
have rear wheel anti-locks which seem to work pretty good. On hard
braking, or slick conditions I can hear/feel the anti-lock valve release,
*** but the pedal doesn't go to the floor.***

In a panic stop on dry pavement, the fronts will lock up and the rear
anti-lock valve will also thump. I believe it controls both rear wheels at
the same time... ie. if one is starting to lock up, the brakes ease up on
both rear brakes. Always stops in a straight line.

Maybe, with you rear wheels off the ground you're creating the same effect
as slippage, the ABS system is going to engage and prevent the brakes from
locking .... I don't thing 2 wheel ABS is particularly sophisticated.

I think I will get shorter stopping distances on pavement with good highway
tires. The Wranglers are supposed to be off-road tires and don't have as
much rubber on the road.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.