Fuel Injector Information

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 18:48:39 EDT

Below are some facts about fuel injectors that I thought everyone might be
interested in.
Currently fuel injectors fall into two general classifications, low
impedance (1 - 2 ohms) and high impedance (12 -16 ohms). Within these two
classifications, there
are two general types, pintle and plate. Each manufacture claims advantages
to their respective types. Generally, all injectors have pretty much the
same physical
and electrical connections. Dodge uses a Seimens injector on the Magnum
engine ( I checked the 1998 5.9L Magnum). The Dodge P/N for the 98 injector
is
53030778 and that is the same Seimens P/N. The injector saturates at 232
cc's (approx. 82% cycle duty) and it is the high impedance type. The flow
rating
translates into approx. 22 Lbs/Hr. Little know fact, Chrysler owns Seimens.
Currently Seimens, Bosch, Lucas, Rochester, and Bendix make high impedance
injectors with this flow rating (232 cc's). The next step up from all of the
above manufactures is a flow rating of approx. 245 cc's and the step above
that is approx.
270 cc's. The 270cc flow rating translates in approx. 25 Lbs/Hr. All of the
above manufactures (with the exception of Lucas) manufacture the pintle
style injector
with production tolerances ranging from 5% to 10%. The exception on
tolerances comes from Lucas which advertises flow ratings within 1%
additionally the plate
injectors (identified by multiple holes in the nozzle) saturate at approx.
87% cycle duty. I just purchased a set of the 270 cc injectors to try with
the big bore TB.
Calculations show that these injectors should be good for about 330
horsepower. The only question surrounding these injectors will be whether or
not the O2
sensor can reduce the pulse width enough to not be rich at an idle. If it is
rich at an idle, then the only option will be to drop down to the 245 cc
injectors. Again all
of the above manufactures have these flow ratings as off the shelf items, it
is just a matter of knowing where to get them. I ended up purchasing a set
of Lucas
injectors this time and I watched them being flowed, high was 271.1 cc's and
the low was 269.6 cc's. We did flow the above Dodge injector. Once we know
what
injector works best, we might be able to get a group buy going, but
currently for a set of eight, my price for the balanced set was $400.00 or
$50.00 each. One
last thought, all of the above manufactures flow the above injectors at 43.5
PSI and should be safe all the way up to 70 PSI (sometimes a little higher).
I hope this
information helps......

        Frank