Re: Upgrades to 3.9

From: Elmer Hanhart (hanharte@SWBell.net)
Date: Thu Oct 15 1998 - 00:18:40 EDT

Geoffrey Hackbart wrote:

> Actually, I went to my muffler shop that put on my dual Flowmaster
> exhaust. And finally remembered to ask him that question about losing
> low end torque. He said that all the restriction comes from the cat
> itself. I would tend to believe him bcs I have gone there for exhaust
> work since I have been driving. But that is what I was told.
>
> Later,
> Geoffrey
> ~~~~~98 DAK CC 3.9L~~~~~
> (with freshly painted pinstripes on)
>
> >Correct me if i am wrong, but a 3" on a 3.9 wouldn't you lose some low
> end
> >torque? I have a 2.5" Flowmaster 2 chamber and noticed improvements in
> sound
> >and performance. jus my 2 cents.
> >
> >2me

I am going to have to disagree w/ that: when I had a straight-pipe on my
truck( no muffler, but had the cat on) I didn't seem to lose any torque,
but when I put my Flowtech on I got a very noticable increase over
stock. This tells me that even on a v8 tha cat alone does not allow
enough restriction (backpressure) much less on a v6 with the same pipe
diameter (2.5").

Erich 98 ext. cab v8 5spd.