Re: Re: RE:14" FIPK vs, Air Inlet Systems

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 11:52:32 EST

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Jules Glogovcsan wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
> > To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> > Subject: Re: DML: Re: RE:14" FIPK vs, Air Inlet Systems
> > Date: Thursday, October 29, 1998 8:57 PM
> >
> > (On the
> > street I use a 14x3" open element air filter with a chrome lid instead
> > of the X-stream.)
>
> jon-
>
> how long have you had the x-stream filter, where did you get it ? k&n or
> other, cost? and why don't you use it on the street? any sealing problems?
> you using the clips...

   I've been using the X-stream for a couple of months now. I got it
from Bill Tierney, actually. :-) (When I called Jegs and Summit to
try to order one, they told me they were temporary on hold because of
some sort of problem with them collapsing. So I decided to wait,
but then later I heard they might not be making them at all, so I
figured the couple of bucks I'd save from mail order wouldn't be worth
trying to wait and possibly never getting one. Bill found one in stock
at an auto parts place near where he lives so he grabbed one for me.)
Yes, its a K&N; it was about $40.

  There are a couple reasons why I don't use it on the street... One
is because any rain would get sucked into my ram-air hood and get
dumped right down on top of the X-stream. I realize that a little
water won't hurt the engine, but I think it would wash away the
oil in the guaze, and decrease the filtering capability of the x-stream.

  The main reason why I don't use it on the street is because you
can't "cinch" down the top hard enough for my liking. If you were to keep
tightening the butterfly nut, the x-stream would probably break. It doesn't
put enough tension on the air can base to keep it completely sealed
to the TB. Well, actually its a good seal, but the X-stream rubs slightly
on my hood. I can "tip" the air filter when its installed, so its possible
(unlikely, but possible) that some foreign particles could get into the TB
due to engine torque pushing the filter against the hood and temporarily
breaking the seal at the base...

  I just feel more comfortable using the solid chrome lid on the street.

                                              -Jon-