Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can I ride?

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 15:29:11 EST

<snip>
>> I would highly recommend the drive- it's a once-in-a-lifetime
>experience...
>> just look out for the Canadian back-woods gas stations... when I drove
>down
>> in '89 in my '68 Charger we hit snow in July & paid $.85 for gas (per
>> LITER!)
>
>gary -
>
>were you glad to get it... the gas, i mean? :) what ocatne was it...?
>
>jam'n

well it beat walkin.... but the Charger had a fresh rebuild and got about
18mpg... paying $50 to fill up a 19-gallon tank was a real eye-opener... I
believe it was 88 octane regular in the back woods- If I remember at the
time all they carried was that and 87 octane unleaded, but I was carrying
octane boost...(9.5 to 1 compression) but I didn't need that much.. altitude
helped reduce the need (our lowest grade here in colorado is 85 octane!)
I'm not sure if I'm remembering the same trip, but I think unleaded was
CHEAPER than regular... must have been taxed less...

We also carried a 5-gal jug just in case we couldn't make it to the next
station... pretty far between them... I remember waiting 3 hours for a
station to open so we could be on our way...

I also remember rounding a corner @ 2AM in the middle of nowhere and seeing
about 200 eyes staring back at me! It was like a bunny convention... they
all scattered when they saw my headlights.. weirdest thing I've ever seen!

Gary Shook