Re: Headers: Mopar Vs JBA/Gibson

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 19:05:54 EST

>Thank you sooo much for posting that. I called Tom @ Mike Leach (guess
that
>is the name of their company). He quoted me $330 for my 97 318 4X4 CC.

Doug Thorley at least USED to make Mopar headers... maybe they switched,
maybe they use multiple suppliers to produce the same design... for this
price, I'm assuming they're just painted mild steel tubing? Can they do
stainless? Can they do ceramic coating? Just some things for you to ask &
consider...

>They are the long style and include the tri-y (whatever that is).

Tri-Y is a design that instead of the 4 pipes going into 1 collector, 2
pipes connect to 1, and the other 2 pipes connect to another 1, and the 2
pipes from there connect further down (boy, that sounds clear as mud)...
let's try ascii:

Tri-Y Header:

| | | |
\ / \ /
  | |
   \ /
    \ /

Race Header (non Tri-Y):

| | | |
\ \ / /
  \ | | /

It's pretty crude, but that's kinda the difference physically... I don't
know exactly why, but the Tri-Y design is supposed to produce more low-end
torque, while the 4-into-1 design can ultimately produce more HP (but the
rest of the engine has to be setup for high-rpm HP... Magnum engines
AREN'T).

You have to match the design of the parts you use to the rest of your
engine, and your application.... look at Top Fuel dragsters.... they don't
use collectors.. just short, large diameter pipes on each port... but I
don't think these would work very well on a truck engine (besides being
LOUD).

Gary Shook