Headers: Mopar Vs JBA/Gibson

From: Whit (bigdog@netdog.com)
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 15:15:17 EST

>Mopar Part number P 4876901 [Header for a 98 R/T] lists @ $625 [according to
>the guys at the Magnum Tech Line. Steve @ RV Performance Connection quoted
>me $400 for JBA shorties and the same for Gibsons, and CBS performance
>Automotive quoted me $390 for the Gibsons with free shipping. Why would I
>want to shell out an extra $225 for Mopar? Pardon my ignorance, but it just
>doesn't make sense. If anyone out there could shed some light on the
>subject, please be my guest. Also, if the deals I mentioned sound good to
>anyone, these are the phone numbers for:

Here's the reality. Mopar distributors tack on some very healthy profit.
I called about some headers for my '96 Grand Cherokee, the list price was
somewhere in that $600 range. The discount price was about $525. I called
the Magnum number and started asking questions they couldn't answer.
Mainly that I have a 360. Since they didn't have a 360 in that year Grand,
they had no idea if the headers would work. I had a real good idea that
they would but wanted verification. Anyway, the Magnum guy said, "I don't
know, call Mike Leach". It turns out that Mike Leach makes all the headers
for the Grand Cherokee and I bet he makes them for the DAK. I call him up
and he sells me the headers for $330 which includes a very nice Y pipe.
These are the Mopar headers and come with all the hardware to set them up
and CARB certificate, etc.. Not only that but he knows a hell of a lot
about the construction and fit with various trannies, etc. You will get
the right headers at a great price. Call Mike Leach company at
(714)639-5220. BTW, the headers fit perfectly and I threw away the 3" to
2.5" reducer so I could run 3" straight through.

Whit