Re: 30K Service Questions

From: HKUSP40578@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 17:55:01 EST

<<
 How hard is it to drain and replace Front and Rear Diff Gear oil?

 How often would you recommend changing the Transfer Case Fluid?

 Has anybody installed Rancho 5000 Shocks? Alternate Sugestions?

Its not hard at all to drain and replace the front and rear diff fluid, on my
93 Dakota 4x4 all I did was pop out the rubber plugs and buy a fluid/oil hand
pump for $10. I highly suggest you replace the diff fluid with some type of
synthetic, as I did. On my 93 also, there is a frame brace/skid plate running
right infront of the tcase drain plug. The fill plug is semi easy to get to
and the drain plug is the main problem, but nothing that you can't do.. I have
an NP231 tcase by ther way, not sure what you have. I went to Sears and bought
a 30MM(I think, maybe 32MM) wrench because I could not ger a socket back
there, nor would vice grips or pliers do the job. When I was done I returned
the wrench and got my $25 back, they are good about returning tools. Once
again, I highly suggest filling your tcase back up with some type synthetic
ATF. I have had Rancho RS5000 shocks on my 93 for about 35,000 miles and I
loved them, except for the fact that the rubber bushings wore out in like
20,000 miles. I went ahead and bought a polyurethane bushing kit for $35 and
installed them. I do love the shocks, but if when I have to buy shocks again,
I will only but shocks with urethane bushings. Dick Cepek, Superlift, and Warn
all make exceptionall great shocks for 4x4's with urethane bushing, I suggest
you go with those. Good Luck
Kyle
93 Dakota Sport 4x4 V6
96,500 miles........too many mods to list!