Re: New member

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 12:46:55 EST

>I've been searching the archives,
>but really never found a definitive answer to one question: Can the
>rev-limiter be defeated somehow? Mine seems to cut out somewhere below 5K.
>Is that right? Maybe I got too used to the 9000 RPM abilities of my Eagle
>Talon, but isn't 5K pretty low?

I think the valvetrain is a limiting factor... namely the fact that it is
pushrod-operated... the valvetrain mass is too heavy for more rev's. I
remember reading that RC engineering said that the stock lifters were really
heavy and could crack the lifter bosses at sustained RPMS beyond 5500...

Also, has anyone totally removed the noisy,
>and I assume power-robbing stock fan? I'm thinking about a
>thermostatically-controlled radiator-mounted electric fan. Comments &
>suggestions will be appreciated.

I have wondered the same, but wanted some definitive dyno results before
risking messing with a cooling system that works (you aren't making more
power if you're overheating)

>(By the way, in case anyone's wondering,
>the 1" larger diameter tires do rub at full lock, just a little) Thanks!
>Bill Goldbach, Wilton, NH

Check if there is an adjustable stop on the steering knuckles... The Ram has
them (that's what I drive).. you can asjust the stops so the tires won't rub
(losing a little turning radius, tho)

Gary Shook