Re: [Fwd: Superchargers vs nitrous]

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 15:41:33 EST

><< Isnt nitrous a scary idea with a manual? I mean, if Im
> runnin
> through the gears if something were to happen and I missed a gear when the
> juice is running, it could get a little out of hand! >>
>
>Nitrous setups are set up to operate at WOT only and you should have a fuel
>pressure switch installed (I believe they come with most Kits) Mopar rev
>limiter, as I've been told, cuts fuel so when the pressure drops the
nitrous
>stops. I don't think it would be any worse missing a shift with it or
without
>the juice both woth probably hit the rev limiter and with the fuel pressure
>switch it would cut the juice.

Whoa there, Wild Bill!

I believe the mopar fuel cutoff works by NOT firing the injectors, there
would still be fuel pressure.. In fact I remember a certain Mopar enthusiast
magazine testing a nitrous kit on a Neon rental car! I took the abuse just
fine, even when pumping 100hp more than stock in, until one of them left it
in a lower gear too long and over-revved the engine, causing a backfire when
the valves floated... the nitrous system was also pumping in fuel, so the
injectors quit firing, but the engine continued to run on the fuel the
nitrous system was providing.

so do NOT rely on the factory rev limiter when running nitrous! You need a
secondary spark-driven rev limiter. If you run a WOT micro switch that
should prevent any problems while using it on a manual. Just run the micro
switch in series with the "HOT" button...

just my two lincoln heads... I don't run nitrous, but have investigated
it...

Gary Shook