RE:DML Fast Daks

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 13:14:38 EST

   Heh... I used to be unable to "spin" the tires when I had those itty bitty
(28") Gloopyears on my Dak. I had them break loose on me going around a
simple corner that had some water in it and I said "That's it, I don't care if
they've only got 11K on them, they're history!" I just put on some Kelly
Springfield 30x9.5 tires on my DAK. These I can spin (barely, until the
anti-spin diff kicks in and off I go). Oddly enough, the smaller tires with a
3:92 rearend wouldn't spin, but the bigger/wider tires DO spin and I get
better traction on the road with the bigger tires (tried the same corner even
faster and it didn't come loose). Now, my Dak actually feels like it's got a
bit more pep with the tire-change and I certainly can go a bunch faster once
I'm rolling (the take off feels about the same).
   So, having targeted my tires to make my final drive like a 3:55 with
factory tires, the question remains, why am I seeing preformance GAINS by just
increasing tire size. I did this for MPG (and it seems to be working)
reasons, but my Dak actually seems to be running better with the new tires.
This is really wierd...

Shaun H.