Re: NV 3500

From: Sam Parthemer (maverick_nr552@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 14:13:10 EST

> All it takes is driving that tranny hard and it collapses. It's
fine for
>street use and light work but you don't want to haul heavy loads with
it.
>There's a reason why the Automatic transmission is rated for heavier
loads
>than the manual tranny, it's built stronger and can handle towing
better (This
>really doesn't apply so much to the Daks but it really applies to the
powerful
>Rams

Something is a miss, but with the Dakota, a '95 SLT 5 spd v8 w/ 3.90
gearing is rated to 6700# towing capacity (10500 GVWR), vs. a auto v8
w/3.90 gearing is rated to 6500# towing capacity (same 10500 GVWR).
When you go to a 3.55 gearing, the difference is more. The 5 spd has a
higher rating than an auto (A-518, 46RH?, etc.) A 5 spd has no trans
cooler, so you don't have that heat to contend with (going right into
your radiator) and less maint. (fluid wise).

In '96 they raised the 5 spd tow rating to 7100# (4003 increase)...
The GVWR stayed the same at 10500, so 7100# is an unrealistic #, but
was published as such.

For '99, the 5.9L Dakota, has been posted with an 8000# tow capacity.
I checked it twice. Either a wild misprint, or the real thing. I
checked through my manual (truck manual that is), and it really is a
generic I4, V6, V8 Dakota manual (not really touching on the RT option
with 5.9L engine.)

Go figure,

Sam '95 SLT
    '99 RT