Re: Cats

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 14:48:27 EST

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Bill Fleming wrote:

> Speaking of cats, not the furry, independent kink, when I bought my Dak. '89
> 3.9, I discovered sometime later while changing out the trans fluid and
> filter that someone had removed the cat and installed a straight pipe. Two
> questions.
>
> 1. What kind of effect would this have (other than opening the exhaust and
> allowing it to exhale better, on my performance?

   I can't say for sure, but I suspect it will give you a bit better
high end performance, possibly at the expense of low end torque. It also
makes the exhaust note sound a LOT better. :-)

> 2. When I go to have it emissions tested, (Jefferson County, KY), are they
> immediately going to pull out the hangman's noose or just jack up the jail
> and throw me under it?

  I'm not sure. Just go to any inspection station and ask 'em. It might
not be required in your area. In my area of NY, they'll check to see if
its there, and if its not, you don't pass until you remedy the problem.
(i.e. buy a cat and stick it in there.) This emissions stuff varies
from county to county, so who knows, but the place where I get my truck
inspected said that the cat doesn't actualy even have to work; as long
as its there and hooked up, its A-OK. (In the cities though, they
actually test the emissions.) I solved the problem by having a
"test pipe" made up; my exhaust has flanges on it so I can swap
my cat or a 3" pipe in and out by removing 4 bolts. That lets me have
a cat come inspection time and also lets me decrease the horsepower
for winter driving.

                                              -Jon-