Re: 4x4 question

From: Jon Smith (jdsmith4@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 27 1998 - 13:00:27 EST

clip, snip, etc...

>--> could have been your 4wd dis-engaging. I have been told that if
the
>driveline is torqued up a wee bit (ie. you're turning on dry pavement),
the
>transfer case will not always dis-engage immediately, even though the
lever
>is in the 2wd position until the torque is relieved. Or maybe your
right
>front wheel was locked (were you braking?) and it started to spin when
it
>hit dry pavement.
>
>How do you know that 4wd did not disengage?
>

>Rob Agnew
>ragnew@islandnet.com

There was a different gear whine sound than usual, I shifted into
neutral and coasted awhile but it came back when I put it back into
drive. That is what made me think it was still engaged. Once it popped
(what I usually associate with 4wd disengaging under strain) the extra
whine quit. I have noticed over the past few months that the front
end groans when going over speed bumps, and pot holes at speed; I think
it's coming from either the control arm bushings but not sure. The
front axle on the driver's side seems to be leaking a wee bit. Possibly
the combination of these is not letting it disengage properly???

Jon Smith
95 CC SLT 4x4x318
ICQ# 9720504