3" Trailmaster Body Lift.

From: binary/IIRG (binary@shoelace.digivill.net)
Date: Tue Dec 29 1998 - 17:34:53 EST

        I Installed a 3" body lift this weekend at my uncles garage using
some of the advice I got from the DML and various webpages i've seen about
it.. My Dak is a 94 4x4 club cab with a 3.9 V6, 5 speed manual and 3.55
gearing.. I called trail master before purchesing the body lift, 4 SSV
shocks and a steering stablizer.. They assured me everything would fit..
I'm just writing this to see if anyone else had any of the same
experences?

        The Trailmaster SSV shocks.
The first thing I did was to install the shocks becuase my stock factory
ones were rusting away.. I was looking for a good all-around highway/dirt
road shock so the shop I bought everyting at recommened the SSV shock..
They went in with no problems but when I road tested them on the highway
the ride was terrible.. After driving 2 hours on the highway (my uncles
garage in 2 hours away from where I live) I decided these things were
going back.. so I replaced the 2 back shocks with Rancho
RS9000 5-way adjustable shocks.. they needed a little moding to fit on the
top where the top backet meets the bed frame - I had to cut notches in
them with a cutting wheel.. but after they were installed it was a huge
difference.. I left and SSV in the front and the ride is really nice..

        The Trailmaster Steering stablizer.
Because my goal was to put larger tires on the truck after it was lifted I
decided to install a steering stablizer since everything else was
trailmaster I used their model.. Installation was pretty easy although the
directions could have been a little clearer - It took me a few minutes to
understand what they ment about the stationary bracket. Everything fit
farily well except the barrel of the shock sits about 1/4" away from the
front crossmember. I didn't really notice any improvement until I drove
thru a huge pothole intentionally - the wheel didn't move at all.. I'm
wondering why this isn't a OEM item..

        The Body Lift.
This is about the time my uncle got pissed at me after reading the
instructions.. they weren't clear about anything.. but I guess its becuase
a Body lift is something you get professionly installed? The first thing
we did was to make sure all the parts fit.. the steering adaptor they sent
us looked nothing like the soild piece that was installed on the lower
steering shaft.. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes with trailmasters
tech line they first said I had a steering shaft off of another truck and
they couldn't do anything about it.. so we looked in the crash parts book
for a picture of the assy. It matched what I had.. So I called back
trailmaster and they asked if I had a air bag, which I did.. They then
told me that it uses a entirely different adaptor and they were nice
enough to mail it to me for free.. (but this ment 5 hours of driving !)
after getting the adaptor in the mail it turned out all I had to do was
cut the shaft and drill a hole in it and tap it for a bolt to extend it..
not getting into to much detail here it wasn't that hard.. Lifting the bed
wasn't hard and we didn't have any problems.. the cab was another story..
after cutting the fan shrod and disconnecting all the brake lines, etc and
removing the front bumper we installed the lift blocks and now the fan sat
1/4" away from the lower radiator hose.. I now see why this kit won't work
with a V8 without some fancy plumbing.. I cut a pice of exaust pipe and
taped it to the house where the fan was near it just in case.. Installing
the front bumper took a little fancy drilling and a large hammer but it
went in ok.. the brake lines were really streched but they didn't break
so i guess they'll be ok.. the cutaway in the floor for the 5spd shifter
had to be made bigger.. about now i'm starting to wonder to myself if this
is worth it. :) we only had a few parts left over when we were done but
that always happens for some reason... after drving it for a few days I
decided it was more trouble then its worth and I'll be removing it next
month.. Shifting is a pain because of the way the shifter is located.. and
the extention they provided for the transfer case knob doesn't work and
rubs up agenst the shifter hole and makes this annoying sqeeking noise..
Something I did learn is that on a 94' dak the transfer case knob dosen't
really "unscrew" by itself.. theres a nut under the cap on the top.. the
cap pops off with a small screw driver.. I haven't figured out how to
remove the shifter knob yet.. I'm beginning to think its molded on..

Well this is about the longest post i've had this year.. so what I think
what I'm trying to say is the body lift on a 94' was alot more trouble
then it was worth.. (for me atleast.)

Has anyone used the 4" suspention lift? It's really expensive and I'm not
crazy on doing anything is isn't reversible...

- Nick

94 CC 4x4 3.9 5spd - 140,000 miles
K&N FIPK, 3" body lift (for 3 more weeks)