Re: UPDATE ON SHUTTING OFF

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 01:04:01 EST

At 09:01 PM 1/4/99 -0800, you wrote:

>> Like I said, its a shot in the dark, and I'm not sure if restricting
>the
>>fuel flow would raise the pressure or not... (I'm thinking of a garden
>hose
>>or a drinking fountain where if you restrict it, the pressure rises and
>>shoots a smaller amount of water further than normal...)
>

>Jon, I think what would happen is that the line pressure (back
>pressure?) would increase behind the obstruction but you would be left
>with less fuel actually making it through. If you think about the hose
>thing, if you were filling a container it fills faster with no nozzle
>and slower if you have a small high pressure stream.... right?

  Hmmm, I guess so. I've never tried it. Part of me thinks that it would
fill slower, but another part thinks that the higher velocity of the water
would equalize it since the pump is pushing at the same rate... ?

   If you have 2 streams of water filling 2 buckets, one half as large
as the other one, but flowing twice as fast, would they fill at the same
rate? I'm not sure. (And staying up late with this stupid cold isn't
helping...) :-P

  Ok, I just tried it. :-) I filled a container from the sink, which
took 35 seconds. Then I filled the same container (without touching
the faucet handle) but with my thumb over part of the faucet so that it
shot out in a stream. It took the same amount of time; 35 seconds.
Then I filled it again without my thumb over it; same amount of time.
Then, I filled it with my thumb over it, but varying the pressure
anywhere from almost closed to completely open. Same amount of time;
35 seconds.

   So I guess the flow would be the same, but apparently my original
theory was wrong also, in that the fluid available at the injectors would
be the same as without the blockage, not more. But I'm not sure wether
the pressure would be any higher or not. Certainly, it would be higher
before the blockage, but what about after? Would it remain the same
as it was before the blockage, or would it be less than normal so as to
keep the system average at "normal" pressure? My gut says the
latter, which would mean even less fuel from the injectors, which would
tend toward lean, not rich. So I guess that couldn't be the cause of the
fuel smell. Oh well, back to the drawing board... Heck, forget the
drawing board; I'm going to bed! TTYL! :-)

                                               -Jon-