Re: Preparing for a DAK purchase

From: HKUSP40578@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 10:23:13 EST

<< 1) Thinking about either the Full Time Transfer Case (FTTC) or the Sure
Grip
Axle (i.e., LSD), or both. What do folks think of the FTTC? Would it be of
any value? Are there any drawbacks? I would like to get the best MPG I can
with the V8. Would the FTTC lower MPG vs the Part Time Transfer Case (PTTC)
when either is not in use? Also, it is unclear to me what the base axle
ratio is on the V8 w/auto. Is it 3.55? I think with the LSD you have to
get at least the 3.55, but if the ratio w/o the LSD is lower that would
potentially lead to better MPG.

          First off congrads, Daks are kick a$$ 4x4's. I own a 93 Dakota 4x4
and it is truely awesome, proved to me that it is this last snow Indiana got
hit with at 22 inches. On this I would stay definately get the LSD in the rear
diff, especailly if you are running the 31 inch tires As far as gears go I am
happy with my 3.55's, but then again I have a V6 and LT235's, so hopefully
someone else can clarify the gears.

2) I like the versatility of the bench seat, but my initial impression is
that it is not as comfortable on my back as the bucket seats. I am also
considering the power drivers seat. What opinions do list members have?

          I have had the bench seat in my Dakota 4x4 for 99,000 miles
now......its nice to have to put 3 people up front, but I rarely do that. I
wish I would have gotten the 60/40 or even better the buckets. I will be
swapping out the bench hopefully by summer. Overall the bench is eh ok, but I
would never get a truck again with them. You need to decide on if you want
more people to be able to fit in your truck, or if you want to ride down those
fire lane trails in a supportive bucket seat!

3) I had planned to take the standard radio as I was going to put in my own
stereo w/CD player, amp and speakers. I've never been that impressed with
factory stereos and I think you get more bang for the buck with aftermarket
products. >>

        I finally took my factory deck out this past summer and put in a
Pioneer CD deck. Along with this I put in Pioneer 2way 6.5" speakers in my
doors and Pioneer 3way 5x7's in the rear....WOW, huge improvement. I would say
buy the cheapest one from the dealer, or see if you can not even get one, and
put in what you want. Good luck, you have come to the right place by
finding/joining the DML.
Kyle