RE: Stage II

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 17:18:23 EST

Donny,
I was talking with Bruce today about the Stage II TB's. We have come up with
a change that we are going to try. Currently the Stage II's have a throttle
bore diameter .040 greater than the stock bore. The bores are shifted
outward so we don't thin out the web between the two bores. We are pretty
much limited on how much we can increase the bore by the bearing retainers
in the TB and the fact that we don't want to have individuals modify their
intake manifolds. Everything is a compromise. Once the bores were open up,
we machined an 8 degree compression angle above the plates. The amount of
material that we could remove was limited by the fact that we don't want to
cut into the holes where the hold-down bolts go through. What we are going
to try is to very the compression angle from 0 degrees just above the plates
and gradually increasing the angle to 8 degrees, then we will blend into a
vary large radius at the top of the TB. This may sound complex but it will
actually be quite easy. The operation will be moved from the NC mill to a
lathe where we have a tracer attachment. The goal here is to minimize all
flow disruption. through the throat of the TB. Bruce has been talking to one
of the engineers ( I think he is a fluid dynamics engineer), where he works
and he has recommended this. I am going to make up a template for the tracer
and have Bruce show it to his friend. The net result of this should be an
even greater air flow with higher velocity through the TB. We will start
again in about two weeks once through all the Stage I's out there.......

        Frank