Re: RE: Stage II

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 01:42:02 EST

At 02:18 PM 1/12/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Donny,
>I was talking with Bruce today about the Stage II TB's. We have come up with
>a change that we are going to try. Currently the Stage II's have a throttle
>bore diameter .040 greater than the stock bore. The bores are shifted
>outward so we don't thin out the web between the two bores. We are pretty
>much limited on how much we can increase the bore by the bearing retainers
>in the TB and the fact that we don't want to have individuals modify their
>intake manifolds. Everything is a compromise. Once the bores were open up,
>we machined an 8 degree compression angle above the plates. The amount of
>material that we could remove was limited by the fact that we don't want to
>cut into the holes where the hold-down bolts go through. What we are going
>to try is to very the compression angle from 0 degrees just above the plates
>and gradually increasing the angle to 8 degrees, then we will blend into a
>vary large radius at the top of the TB. This may sound complex but it will
>actually be quite easy. The operation will be moved from the NC mill to a
>lathe where we have a tracer attachment. The goal here is to minimize all
>flow disruption. through the throat of the TB. Bruce has been talking to one
>of the engineers ( I think he is a fluid dynamics engineer), where he works
>and he has recommended this. I am going to make up a template for the tracer
>and have Bruce show it to his friend. The net result of this should be an
>even greater air flow with higher velocity through the TB. We will start
>again in about two weeks once through all the Stage I's out there.......

  Frank,

  Sounds interesting! (Is this the Stage III you mentioned before?)

  Why is it that you don't want to expand the bores inward? Is it a
strength issue with the material between the bores? Doesn't look like
there's a lot of material there to remove anyway, but I guess every little
bit helps... (Would be kind of neat to see what would happen if you were
to completely remove the piece in the middle and make the entire TB one
big bore, with one solid butterfly... Seems to me that would give the
most flow, but I'm not sure if having one bore would adversely affect
throttle response or not. Would the throttle shaft move around or
flex, do you think? I think the 5.0 Mustangs have one big (circular)
bore.)

   As far as the bearings go, would it be possible to mill the bores
to more of an oval shape, to expand front-to-back, but not out to the
sides?

   At any rate, I'll be lookin' forward to seeing the numbers and results
from the new changes! You can count on me for any field testing you need!
:-) Let me know if/when you'd like me to send back the Stage II for the
new mods...

                                               -Jon-