Re: Audio

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 15 1999 - 16:56:01 EST

I'm not terribly familiar with the Blaupunkt line (of receivers). They
have a decent reputation as far as I've heard (but stay away from their
speakers). As the heat is concerned, Most brands get really hot. My
Alpine would leave a cd almost burning to the touch especially when I was
listening to the radio. I asked Mark (my friend from Soundz Plus) about
the heat, and he said that all Alpines, Sonys and most other brand get
pretty hot, but they're designed to withstand the heat (they'd have to be,
they're in a car), so I didn't worry about it when I bought my Sony (I had
been searching for a head unit without an amp up to that point, to try and
cut down on the heat). As far as security is concerned, the only reason I
take off my faceplate is overnight in the winter (the display freezes and
is very slow for about 10 minutes if I leave it in overnight) and when I
park my truck in Chicago (I live in Naperville). Maybe security is a
bigger concern where you live. If you want the security without the
faceplate, an alternative is Eclipse, which has a "key cd" that you
select--if the power is removed, that cd must be inserted before it will
work again. Those cards do sound kinda kewl, though. Hope that helped.

David Gloff
Computer Technician
Valcom Professional Computer Center; Kemper/Scudder/Zurich Funds
aolim: dgloff
Loaded Intense Blue '99 Dakota Sport CC 318 5-speed 3.92SG
Sony C680 CD Player and HX-504 amp
Phoenix Gold XS 10" Sub, 6 1/2" midranges, 3/4" tweeters