Boog's 4x4 adventure! For your Sunday reading enjoyment

From: Boog318@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 17 1999 - 10:54:36 EST

Ahh, my latest Dak adventure happened last Thursday during that big ice storm
that hit Baltimore.
Here's the picture:
Driving home at 6 PM was not cool. It had been sleeting all day and ice was
everywhere, not to mention urban idiots. After a 30 MPH crawl down Rt 152 (a
55 mph road), I had to take a back road to get home. Already in 4wd, the road
was not too bad....until I met this curve (locally know as dead man's curve
compliments of the urban idiots the take it at 30+ MPH). I started around,
but just slid right off into the grass. No problem. Into 4 low I
go....hehehe. She walked right up that hill.
Back into 4 Hi...I put her in neutral and proceed to shift the transfer case.
Now I have heard of problems with the shifter being hard to get out of 4 low.
There is probably a few of you out there with the same complaint.
I pushed and pushed but she wouldn't budge. I tried moving forward a few
feet, no luck...moved back a few feet, no luck. I even tried to shift while
in drive. Not even a grind. Pissed, I threw off my seatbelt and used both
hands. Then she went...well, at least the shifter did. Yup, I was still in 4
low with the shifter in the 2wd position and still miles from home. DOH!
Fortunately, I was not far from a friend's house. So here I am crawling
along, doing 10 mph @ 2 grand in 2nd gear. That really put the power of 4 Low
into perspective.
45 mph @ 2 grand in 2wd w/OD locked out
65 mph @ 2 grand in 2wd in OD.
The sound was too cool!
Well, it turned out that I broke the bolt that the shifter linkage slides back
and forth on. Half of it is still in the transfer case! Thank God it wasn't
internal. Although I still have a problem.
So heres how I got out of 4 low. There is a lever at end of the linkage. The
most forward position is 4 low. I tapped it back to neutral with a hammer.
Then it shifted to 4 hi position easily. I left it there to get home.
Yesterday I put her back into 2wd.

And the moral in all of this:
If this ever happens to any one else, now you know how to fix it.

4 Low...a creative way to scare your friends as you creep into their driveway
pulling 2 grand.

Lube your linkage regularly.

Have a lovely Sunday :0)
Boog